Abilify: an antipsychotic medication
Common Side Effects With Abilify
Abilify has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Abilify side effects included:
- Headaches -- in up to 27 percent of people
- A sedated feeling -- up to 23 percent
- Agitation -- up to 19 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 18 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 17 percent
- Anxiety -- up to 17 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 16 percent
- Nausea -- up to 15 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 14 percent
- Restlessness -- up to 12 percent
- Constipation -- up to 11 percent.
Some other common side effects (occurring in 2 percent to 10 percent of people) included:
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Shakiness (tremors)
- Weight gain
- Dry mouth
- Joint pain
- Throat pain
- Blurred vision
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Nasal congestion
- Increased salivation
- Swelling or water retention in the arms, legs, or feet.
Side Effects of Abilify to Report
There are a number of side effects with Abilify that you should report to your healthcare provider. Although most of these side effects are quite rare, a few may be relatively common. Serious side effects include but are not limited to:
- Signs of diabetes, such as:
- High blood sugar
- Increased thirst
- Frequent urination
- Extreme hunger
- Large or rapid weight gain
- Suicidal thoughts
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Dizziness or fainting when going from a sitting or lying-down position to standing
- Feelings of internal restlessness or jitteriness
- Any abnormal muscle movements (these movements can become permanent if Abilify is not stopped quickly)
- A painful erection of the penis that does not go away (priapism)
- Signs or symptoms of neuroleptic malignant syndrome, which can include:
- A high fever
- Stiff muscles
- Irregular pulse or blood pressure
- An increased heart rate (tachycardia)
- Irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including:
- Unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.
Rare Abilify Side Effects
Some side effects occur in less than 2 percent of people taking Abilify. Because these side effects are so uncommon, it is difficult to tell whether they are actually caused by the medication or something else.
These less common Abilify side effects include but are not limited to:
- Vertigo (a spinning sensation)
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Low thyroid (hypothyroidism) or high thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Canker sores
- Yeast infections
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Kidney stones
- Impotence, also known as erectile dysfunction or ED
- An increased or decreased sex drive
- Hair loss
- Varicose veins.
You may experience some or none of the Abilify side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have side effects from a medicine that you have never tried. Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while taking the drug, or something that "just does not seem right." While it may not be a side effect, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.
If you are currently taking prescription medication for your symptoms and are interested in building more health and perhaps getting off your medication by addressing the cause of your health concern, please call the office and let us discuss your options. I will work with your medical doctor to restore your health and reduce or eliminate the need for medication.
Dr. Huntoon has a single mission:
To support as many people as possible in their quest for health and enable them to improve and maintain their health to the highest level possible, while educating them about the benefits of Chiropractic, Natural Healthcare and Holistic Living, so they in turn can teach others to support us having a healthy community.
Health concerns are a major source of lost happiness and lost joy in all of our lives. Finding a solution that is agreeable and enables you to get back to your life is important. Please appreciate that you always have the more invasive surgery and prescription medication available to you as a last resort. What many Traditional Medical Doctors may not share is, many times, once you begin that journey into medication and/or surgery, it alters your original body from the one that you were born with. Unfortunately, at that time, more conservative and natural treatments may no longer be viable. I encourage you to consider that before making any decisions about treatment for your health. As always I am here to help.
- Continue doing the same thing and nothing changes or it may get worse
- Try something different and get a different result that makes you happier and healthier.
The Choice is Yours
Please call Dr. Huntoon at 845-561-BACK (2225) to discuss your options or click on our E-Visit to do it via e-mail.
Thank You for your consideration.