Trigger Point To attend a FREE CLASS on this Topic, click here.
A trigger point is a hyperirritable spot that is painful. It is called a trigger point because it "triggers" a painful response. It is caused by a pinched nerve or nerves within the neck and/or spine or in the area off the spine. The pinching of the nerves is a condition known as a Subluxation. A subluxation is a minor misalignment of the spine (vertebrae) causing irritation to a nerve with a loss of normal function; the interuption of communication from the brain to any cell tissue or organ in the body. In the case of a trigger point, it affects the nerves that go to the muscle. The pinched nerve is caused by stress that has built up in the area.
But a trigger point is more than a tender nodule. It affects not only the muscle where the trigger point is located, but also causes "referred pain" in tissues supplied by nerves.
Trigger points are located in a taut band of muscles fibers. The trigger point is the most tender point in the band. The therapist will locate and deactivate them using finger pressure. One technique may be to pick up the muscle fibers in a pincer grip. To assist the trigger point's resolution, chiropractic manipulation is necessary
What You Should Know About Trigger Point Therapy
- It is used to treat painful trigger points that cause referred pain.
- It took a while to get the muscle in that condition, and it will likely take more than one treatment to get rid of it.
- These points are often areas of chronic "holding" and you need to learn how to move in different ways to keep them from recurring. Addressing the reason for "holding" by treating the underlying emotion associated with the stress is important.
- It may be uncomfortable for a brief period before the trigger point is relieved.
Dr. Huntoon has a single mission:
To support as many people as possible in their quest for health and enable them to improve and maintain their health to the highest level possible, while educating them about the benefits of Chiropractic, Natural Healthcare and Holistic Living, so they in turn can teach others to support us having a healthy community.
Health concerns are a major source of lost happiness and lost joy in all of our lives. Finding a solution that is agreeable and enables you to get back to your life is important. Please appreciate that you always have the more invasive surgery and prescription medication available to you as a last resort. What many Traditional Medical Doctors may not share is, many times, once you begin that journey into medication and/or surgery, it alters your original body from the one that you were born with. Unfortunately, at that time, more conservative and natural treatments may no longer be viable. I encourage you to consider that before making any decisions about treatment for your health. As always I am here to help.
- Continue doing the same thing and nothing changes or it may get worse
- Try something different and get a different result that makes you happier and healthier.
The Choice is Yours
Please call Dr. Huntoon at 845-561-BACK (2225) to discuss your options or click on our E-Visit to do it via e-mail.
Thank You for your consideration.